Another month flew by! I’m not kidding when I say I really can’t catch my breath these days—and now for other reasons besides my baby growing up too fast! This month Charlotte decided to start walking…and now…she is RUNNING! Everywhere. So, I spend a lot of my day chasing her around with my growing belly. Maybe this will help me not gain too much weight! Some 17 month highlights:
- Like I mentioned, Charlotte is officially on the move. We moved up to level 4 at Gymboree so she could learn and play with her peers (16-21 months) and it’s been great! Her teacher Ms. Kristin is amazed with all the progress she has made in such little time.
- Along with the walking has come some new sounds and words. Just yesterday she FINALLY started to say, “ma-ma-ma-ma”. I think it’s more of a desperate cry for: A. me, B. food, C. food. But…up until now she had not even used the “m” sound, so I’ll take it! Charlotte favorite words are: up, hot, off, Da-da, apple. Really…she says “da-da” for pretty much everything. But she has been babbling some random sounds recently, so maybe her talking with change this month.
- Poor Charlotte has been cutting 2 new teeth, the two next to her top teeth. One of them has cut through, so we are waiting for the other. It’s been a few days of whining, crying, clinging and not sleeping—but we’ll get through it! Charlotte LOVES brushing her teeth. LOVES. Which is a really great thing and I hope this continues through to her teen years and beyond!
- Charlotte is still a picky eater. I’ve tried to stop obsessing over it, and just go with what she’s in the mood for. I have also stopped making 15 things for her each meal. If she doesn’t eat what I’ve made, then I give her milk and be done with it for the night. I’m just so thankful she will drink milk now (by the way, that is chocolate milk in the Starbucks cup, not coffee!)…it was REALLY tough before that. I have also changed the way I react to her throwing food off of her tray (or plates or cups). When she does this (at least once a day) I remove her from her seat without saying a word and take her to her crib for one minute while I leave the room. When we come back to the table, I tell her to “give to mama” if she is done. This has made mealtime a little easier…but it’s incredibly hard to stay patient…and sane.
- Barney. Need I say more? There is no other toy out there that excites our Charlotte like Barney. She is obsessed with her doll, and wants to take him everywhere. We sing the songs all day long and she has the cutest, BIGGEST smile especially with the “I Love You” song.
- CG is still an awesome sleeper, and I am so thankful for this! She takes a 2-3 hour nap everyday and still sleeps 10-12 hours a night. Recently she has had a harder time settling down at nap time, but this may be because of teething.
- Some favorite toys currently are: her baby doll “Lucy”, Barney doll, Lulu rocking chair, blocks, bubbles, books, puzzles, purses (she loves to put things in and take them out…so cute!), and any toy that makes music. She really isn’t the type of child to go and play with toys independently for hours—but I’m hoping this changes because I may have my hands full in a few months! She really loves following mommy around the most, and “helping” me cook and clean! Oh, and did I mention Charlotte loves flags?! She loves, loves, loves them. It’s pretty funny.
Charlotte Grace, each stage with you is better and better. You make us laugh, keep us busy, and surprise us each and every day. I don’t know if my heart can love you any more than it does :). We LOVE you sweet girl!